Monday, January 25, 2010

i have a grandma, and her name is sally...




... but i usually just call her "gram." it was her birthday on the 11th, and i just wanted to give her a little shout out.

grandma sally is one amazing lady, and i feel so lucky to have been close to her all my life. some people get to see their grandparents like once every five years, i got to grow up in the same town. i love that i get to look back on my childhood and remember things like Sunday dinners every week, birthday shopping trips, grandparents that came to swim meets, volleyball games, graduations, and weddings.

one of my fondest memories is when my mom had to go to work for a few months. we were so lucky to have a mom that stayed home with us, but even more lucky to have family support when that wasn't an option for a little while. we got to ride the bus down to grandma's house, and i will never forget the smell of fresh baked banana bread as i walked into her house.

now, things weren't always sunshine and roses with myself and grandma sally. i don't remember this so much, but i am told that i was quite a pill when i was younger. :) i think that i get a lot of my sassy and vivaciousness from grandma. we weren't always the best of friends, but once we got to spend more time with each other, and understand each other a little better, we became the best of friends.

the day my grandparents sold their house on hilton head to retire fully to their property down in florida was one of the saddest days of my life. i knew that things would never be the same... those carefree sundays were a thing of the past, and we were going to be "normal" kids that only got to see their grandparents at holidays and family functions. they are happy down there though, and that's what matters. and, though they aren't just down the street anymore, they are always there for us. they flew halfway across the country to come to my college graduation, and then drove up to the island for my wedding. i know those trips weren't easy on them, but i am so grateful they were there.


grandma and i have a special bond, and we miss each other terribly (or i would like to think) :) i'm pretty sure she misses me to because i always hear a hint of a tear when she tells me she loves me, misses me, and can't wait to see me again.

love you grandma, i hope you had a very happy birthday, and i look forward to many more to come!

3 comments:

  1. That wss beautiful, Kar. Thanks for the reminder of how lucky we all are for such wonderful parents and grandparents! We are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karly! Hey it's Becca (Middlemiss) Barker. I found your blog through Heather(davidson) Kunz and then through april wilde. I don't think I've seen you since the mission reunion like two years ago! Looks like you are doing well. Congrats on your marriage! Well, I hope we can "talk" sometime and catch up. I'm gonna link your blog to mine so we can keep in touch(if for whatever reason you don't want me to put you guys on mine just leave me a post and I will remove it) hope you are well. Becca

    ReplyDelete