Wednesday, February 10, 2010

babies are cute...

so i said something about filling in the gaps in my last post, but have been pretty busy, so here is the first. i have very few memories of my childhood. i HATE that, especially because kaycie can pretty much remember everything since the day she came out of the womb, but i like looking at pictures and hearing mom and dad tell stories... the more they tell them, the more they seem like my own memories. anyways, one thing i am famous for in my family is my scowl. hopefully none of you have ever experienced the full wrath of this look, because it is pretty fierce. i can just about get it to where you can't even hardly see the daggers coming out of my eyeballs due to the fact that my brow is furrowed so hard and deep. i would like to point out that in this picture, at two weeks old, i was already working on the perfection of that oh so useful face... it was probably because not long after this shot was taken, krista decided that it was time to take me back to wherever i had come from. :)

now, krista soon warmed up to me, at least i think so, because we got along nicely. we had a few knock down drag out fights that were usually curtailed with threats from dad, but we had a great childhood.


i don't know the story behind this picture, but i'm so stinkin cute that i decided to include it. :) i do know that i pretty much never wanted to be separated from my mom though, so i was usually strapped to her... pretty much at all times.

i am not sure at what age i discovered my thumb, but boy oh boy did i enjoy it. it was my comfort.... when i was happy, when i was sad, when i fell down stairs (cause i did that alot), when i ran head first into a glass table (which i did a few times til i finally realized i was too tall)... i sucked that thing dry! my parents tried everything from hot sauce to nail polish to this nasty tasting stuff that they coated on my thumbs to get me to stop. i usually just snuck to the bathroom to wash it off though, and then i was happy as a clam.




another great comfort was my blanket. it went right along with my thumb, and the three of us were a perfect match. i found that blanket a couple years ago, but have since misplaced it. i "silkied" the silky edges right off of that thing, and it was not in such good shape, so it's probably a good thing.


this last picture for this post makes me laugh. i have always loved reading, and this shows you just how long i sucked that thumb! i don't think i quit until i was about 8, and i only quit because i was told that i couldn't get braces until i stopped. that was all it took and i have been thumb free ever since. i do remember with fondness however just how good it tasted, and how much i loved it. i distinctly remember riding down the road with dad one day in his old blue truck just watching the world go by. we were on our way to the harbor and he asked me which one tasted better. i very seriously took a suck of each thumb and proclaimed that the right one definitely tasted better. oh the innocence and carefree of childhood... how i miss it...

that's all for now folks, stay tuned for more karly updates.

3 comments:

  1. that last story made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't mind reliving those days...except with us getting along and not fighting. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I love seeing baby pictures. PS I am sure we discussed that we both had a thumb sucking problem. And I have to agree, the right did taste so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete