Wednesday, September 1, 2010

blast from the past


ok, so i L-O-V-E facebook right now. i met this little lady my freshman year of college... sofia. i am absolutely not kidding you when i seriously thought about naming the baby sofia because of her.... she doesn't know this yet, so this will be news to her too. what is awesome about this story is that sofia and i probably haven't spoken for about seven years or so. she met joe our sophomore year and they were married junior year... then i went off on my mission and we lost touch. thank heavens for facebook because she friended me just yesterday, and we've pretty much caught up. i mean obviously we left out some details, but i still feel like we are as good of friends as we ever were.

we were interesting BYU coeds... not your typical run of the mill mormon girls, and we had a large group of girlfriends that were the same. we were a little rough around the edges, but good girls (for the most part) :) but oh, did we have some fun! all my pictures of us are in south carolina in a bin, and oh how i wish i had some to put up because they are hilarious, but that's for another place and time.

i just wanted to share my exciting news, because... well... i'm so excited about it! sofia taught me that it was ok to be a little different... that it was ok to stand out from the crowd... that being a little different in shape, in size, in color, in beliefs, in attitude, etc. was what made us beautiful and worth something special. she taught me to love myself no matter what... and my favorite thing about sofia... she taught me to always tell someone "bless you" when they sneeze! haha, and no i am not kidding. whether they were someone we knew or a complete stranger across the quad on campus, sofia would always bless someone when they sneezed. it always elicited a "thank you" and a smile. example... JJ and I were at the diamond backs game on Monday night. a teenage boy sitting a row up and about six seats down sneezed. i looked back and said, "bless you." he, a little surprised, smiled and said, "thank you." i then proceeded to tell JJ about my old friend sofia that always used to do that... little did i know that when i got home that night i would find a friend request from none other than sofia.

our Father in Heaven works in mysterious ways, and i can only believe that He brought her back into my life to teach me something else... whether it comes from something good or bad remains to be seen, but i know that she will always help me see the silver lining, because that is sofia... always happy to be alive.

love you girl! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment