Sunday, April 15, 2012

Checking In - Week 1


Happy Sunday!!! I hope you had a fabulous week, because I sure did.

I almost met my goals this week.

Goal #1 was to work out 4 times this week... I worked out 3 times. Monday, of course, I was very motivated and actually made it to the gym for a swim. It felt awesome, and I loved being back in the water. Then Tuesday rolled around and my motivation had waned. I kept telling myself that I would get off the sofa and go for a walk, but that never happened. After I put Princess down for the night I half-heartedly put in a workout video, but that lasted all of five minutes. Wednesday my motivation had returned and I made it to a Zumba class. On Thursday, Princess and I stayed at the apartment and played because I was going to work out Friday and Saturday, but then on Friday morning I remembered that I had ZERO time to get a work out in. On Saturday, Princess and I went for an awesome walk. We live about a mile and a half away from a mall, so we decided to walk there, stopping at various stores along the way. It was super fun, and then Daddy met us for lunch. After that we went to the playground at the mall and walked around looking at puppies and cute furniture. I guess I could have made up for it today, but I had about 200 quizzes to grade, so that took priority.

Goal #2 was to read my scriptures at least ten minutes every day. The only night I missed was Friday and that was only because I fell asleep literally as soon as my head hit the pillow. I don't even remember climbing into bed. The only thing I remember about that night was Princess waking up at 2 and not going back to sleep until 4:30. I read ensign articles every night, and I loved the article about being patient with your toddlers, because Princess is really trying my patience right now with her headstrong personality.

This week I will continue with those goals and add two more. My first new goal is a technology fast. I spend way too much time looking at my iPhone, and way too little time looking at my Princess. I have limited time with her every day, and that time needs to be quality. So, after she goes to bed I am allowed a little bit of technology, but I am limiting Facebook to one hour a day, TV to one hour a day, and I am only going to use my phone for actual phone things and navigation, meaning no mobile apps... *gasp* i will have to check my email the old fashioned way! :-D I am hoping this will help me put things back into perspective, and help me appreciate things more.

My second new goal is to PUT MY DANG CLOTHES AWAY! When I get home from work the first thing I do is strip off the work clothes and put on some comfies... fantastic yes, but it results in piles like this..

(yes this is four days of work clothes hanging over my bed)
and this...

(this is another two or three days of clothes piled in the bathroom)

One of my roles as a wife and mother is to have an orderly house. I know that we are not perfect, and my house will never be white glove ready, but the unnecessary clutter will be dealt with this week.

So, I will check in again next week and let you know how I'm doing. For now though, I feel great! I made sure to spend great quality time with my Princess this week and we had a blast. I feel more alive and more in control. Here is to week 2...

4 comments:

  1. Great first week! So proud of you! And I am totally with you on the piles of clothes. I toss them over the bedpost at the bottom of my side of the bed just in case I have to put them back on to go anywhere after I change into comfy clothes in the evening. Then they sit for a few days instead of migrating to the hamper...that is 2 feet away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Kar! I will gladly exercise with you when we're down there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karly - you are inspiring. Some day soon I hope to work on being a better me too! Thanks for being a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! I've been doing something similar and you inspire me to keep going! Hugs to Princess! xo

    ReplyDelete