Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mawwige

please tell me you all know to what movie i am referencing when i say marriage with such an amusing speech impediment. :) it has been a tough weekend to say the least. i was out to nachos with the girls from work on Friday afternoon after work, and it was a very interesting conversation we had at the table. three of us are newlyweds of 6 months, 2 months, and 1 month. let's just say that i'm glad for the sake of those around us that the music was very loud! :) anyways, Joy, newlywed of 6 months was telling us of her snotty students informing her that they knew she was only there teaching for the money... oh because they pay us teachers SO very much money! and she informed them that she was there because she loved teaching. one of her particularly snotty students then asked, "really miss? you wake up every day excited to come teach us?" to which Joy replied, "it's a little like marriage. i am married to a man who i love more than anything in the world, but i don't wake up every morning and think, 'GOSH i'm glad i married him.' There are good days and bad days." So, we talked about that for a little while. i LOVE being married... i love to see his face when i come out of the closet wearing a particularly cute outfit... i love that he kisses me every morning despite my wicked morning breath... i love that i come home in the afternoon to a clean apartment... i love that he actually DOES wake up every morning happy to be married to me (even when i'm a psycho!)... but sometimes it's so stinkin hard!

why does marriage have to be so hard sometimes???

sometimes i miss the independence and freedom of the single life, but then he walks through the door with a huge smile on his face just because he sees me, and i remember what this is all about. i remember that it's hard because nothing worth it comes easy... it's hard because we are two headstrong adults full of pride... it's hard because we make it that way... it's hard because we are selfish (we meaning the human race... not ME of course! haha) it is when we forget ourselves and put the other first that marriage is beautiful.

someone once said,
"Marriage is the glue that holds us together as we fall in and out of love."

I like that...

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for this post. 5 months next week...and it has definitely been HARD!!! This weekend was especially difficult for us. I'll give a very hearty AMEN to everything you wrote! It's one of the most difficult things to do, make a good marriage...but so wonderful. Definitely, definitely worth all of the effort. :) I like that quote, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karly, so insightful! I like that quote about marriage being the glue that holds us together as we fall in and out of love. I think people have to go into marriage expecting it to be good but also difficult. You have to be ready and willing to put forth the required work, and that's the only way it will last. I'm not married, so what do I know? But that's what I think about it. Love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the quote is from The Princess Bride, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder if my husband will kiss me in the morning. my nose drains y'know....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I agree completely with what you say. Some days I still wonder what the heck I was thinking getting married to Seth, but then I realize I have lots of faults/imperfections that he has to deal with too, so it goes both ways. It definitely is hard though, but worth it like you say. I am little miss independent too and that part is still hard for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All so true. Time...Patience...Humor...Love...Y'all are so cute and you'll be just fine! Trust me, it's worth it! That big smile when you walk in the room? Yep, worth it! Melt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv ya Kar...You're doing great...being an adult isn't as much fun as our kids think it will be. lol

    Uncle Scott

    ReplyDelete