Sunday, September 13, 2009

morning cuddles



so, it never fails... sometime between 3:20 and 5:06 am, my body wakes up and is ready to take on the world. never mind that i went to bed at 10:30 and i really need at least 7 hours of sleep (which i'm only gettin 6 and a half of anyways cause i have to be up by 5) if i want to ensure the survival of myself and all the children that day. (every day is a success that you don't physically harm one of the delinquents) for the life of me i could not figure out why i was waking up. i am one of those people who sleeps very soundly, and can sleep through the entire night. i am not prone to waking up to go to the bathroom, i don't toss and turn, and i have certainly never had this HORRIBLE problem before. this is what i found out...

my husband NEVER sleeps through the night, is always up sometime between 3:20 and 5:06 to use the bathroom, and thinks its a really good idea when he gets back in bed to touch me. sometimes he just rubs my back, sometimes he scoots over to cuddle, and sometimes he just reaches over to push my hair back. tender right? WRONG! what were the first words out of my mouth when i made this discovery? "babe, don't touch me"... not the words a newlywed husband of a month likes to hear out of his new wife's mouth... but seriously! like i said, i am a pretty sound sleeper, but the moment someone touches me, it's over. i could be seriously asleep, and you could call my name over and over without a response, but you so much as lay a finger on me and i'll lay you out... speaking of, i'm surprised he hasn't gotten an unconscious elbow to the face yet. :)

now, what i have since learned is that while that was a contributing factor, him touching me and all, it wasn't everything. in the seven weeks i have been married, i have slept all the way through one, count them, ONE night... meaning i went to sleep and didn't wake up until my alarm... well i guess technically that's a little fib because my alarm goes off at 5:13 and i woke up at 5:06... but still, i made it past 5 AM! for me, that's a bit disconcerting. why you ask? BECAUSE I LOVE TO SLEEP! i probably love to sleep more than anything else in the whole world.... yes ANYTHING! i love to stay up late and sleep late... a habit now ruined by having to be a responsible adult... stupid growing up.

anyways, why am i dedicating a whole blog to this? well, first off because i am not as creative as krista who finds amazingly epiphanical (is that a word? i don't think so because my trusty mac is telling me it's not, so i made a new word... epiphanical: adj., having the characteristics of an epiphany) lessons from life and her garden. second off because i love sleep so much so i had to share that it's being interrupted by a well meaning husband and the stresses of life. third... because i have decided to roll with it...

this morning i didn't have to be up until 7:10 (because church starts at 8.... yeah, i know), but i woke up at 5:20. JJ says this morning it was his fault because he wanted to cuddle...
SELFISH! :)
i tried to climb back in bed after a quick trip to the bathroom (i drank a lot of diet coke and water last night) and to feed my hungry cat who immediately began yelling at me when i opened the door... she was telling me she couldn't believe how often i forget to feed her. but, i couldn't go back to sleep. i peeked out the window and saw what a beautiful sunrise we were having this morning, so i got back out of bed, grabbed my trusty mac (who might have a cold and need to go to the computer doctor), and went out onto the balcony. so now it's me, mac, my rocking chair, and wicked out here enjoying a beautiful sunrise and a welcome cool breeze... maybe fall is here? nope, it's supposed to be over 100 degrees all week.

i digress...
now, i am not telling you that i am going to embrace every morning with a positive attitude... we all know what a stretch that would be. :) but, i hope that eventually as i settle in to my new life, that i might look at the morning as the new day that it is, not looking forward or backward, but diving in to live that new day to its fullest. President Monson once said that if we are constantly looking forward and not living today, that eventually we will end up with a lot of empty yesterdays. that is my problem right now.

i want a baby, i want to be financially secure, i want to be back in south carolina, i want to be a stay at home mom... but that is all coming... tomorrow. while i have the chance, i need to

live today.

this was the beautiful sunrise this morning. i kinda like facing east.

wicked contemplating just how far down that next ledge is and if she can make it. i'm kinda glad we are on the third floor, cause she would totally jump off the second to make her great escape!

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous sunrise! and a great epiphinical morning for yourself i'd say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!! What a great morning! BTW, I miss Wicked...oh, you too!!! :0) Sending you moonlight hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karly, just wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog! You're so funny! Love ya! -Wilde

    ReplyDelete